Just like any major holiday, Valentine’s Day is a huge day for businesses, and in turn has a huge impact on our environment. For example, one billion Valentine’s cards if laid end to end would be enough to circle the world 5 times! Here are some Valentine’s Day consumption facts and ideas on how you and your loved ones can celebrate Valentine’s Day this year while keeping the planet in mind.
- 1 billion Valentine’s Day cards are sent each year around the world, making it the second largest card-sending holiday behind Christmas.
- Over 36 million heart-shaped boxes of chocolate are sold each year
- Valentine’s Day is the top holiday for fresh flower purchases
What can you do to make a difference?
- Buy Valentine’s cards made from recycled materials
- Send e-cards to save on paper consumption
- Choose organic or locally grown flowers
- Purchase fair trade or organic chocolates
- Plan for dinner at a local restaurant specializing in locally grown, organic food. (Click HERE for a link to local organic dining options in Chicago)