Why Recycling is Important!
Recycling might seem like a hassle, but when you take a look at all its benefits, it’s definitely worth it! We are going to cover a few reasons why you should recycle and then some fun recycling facts that will definitely catch you by surprise!
Why you should recycle:
1) Reduces Waste- The average person discards seven and a half pounds of trash per day.
2) Good for the Environment- It produces less energy and uses fewer natural resources and keeps waste from piling up in landfills.
3) Reduces Water Pollution- By using recycled goods there is less water pollution occurring then if virgin materials were used.
4) Good for the Economy- Several companies rely on recycling programs to provide raw materials they need to make new products.
5) Creates Jobs- Recycling in the U.S. is a $236 billion a year industry. There are more then 56,000 recycling and reuse enterprises that employ 1.1 million workers.
6) Protects Wildlife- Recycling reduces the need to damage forests, wetlands, and other places essential to wildlife.
Recycling Fun Facts:
1) It takes 75,000 trees each week to produce the Sunday Edition of New York Times.
2) We could save 25 million trees if Americans recycled just one tenth of this years paper.
3) We throw away an average of 580 pounds of paper per year, which could save 850 million trees annually.
4) There are 2.5 million bottles of plastic that are disposed every hour.
5) In Illinois we save 53.5 million trees each year with our recycling program.
6) Recycling in Illinois saves enough energy to heat and light 578,000 homes.
7) Americans represent 3% of the world’s population, but generate 30% of its garbage.
Recycling is a simple, yet very impactful thing you can do to help the environment. Once the landfills are all filled up, the trash is not going to have anywhere to go and will create hazard to the earth. We can help prevent this by improving our recycling habits or by starting to recycle!
Don’t forget to check out next weeks post on more helpful facts and hints on how to be more environmental friendly!