There are so many ways in which people can incorporate sustainable practices into their own lifestyles without sacrifice. Here at CGG, we utilize successful partnerships to green and beautify Chicago. We value creating a positive impact on the environment and hope to inspire our supporters to do the same. In today’s Transformation Tuesday post, we want to feature a few innovative fashion companies that make eco-friendly clothing. Being aware of the materials and resources used to create your clothing is one easy way to live more sustainably.
The first ethical clothing line that is making a difference today is Carrie Parry. According to their website their mission is to “Use business to inspire and implement a symbiotic relationship between social, environmental, and economic practices” As some large retailers today are struggling with their reputations for domestic clothing production, this company has made the decision to produce all of their designs in New York City. Additionally, Carrie Parry uses fabrics that are guaranteed to be natural and biodegradable including: organic cotton, Cupro, recycled polyester, organic wool, Lyosell and silk.
Another fashion company producing their apparel with only organic cotton is Loomstate. Their website says “By escaping the industrial cotton growing trap of impoverished soils and herbicide contamination, organic cotton farmers are able to provide organic, healthy, biodiverse, and nutrient rich foods for their families and communities.” Their organic cotton materials were gathered on farms free of pesticides and they are taking precautions to prevent human health problems from mass production of cotton. They are also reusing their resources by recycling their apparel to be put into new designs.
Carrie Parrie’s website mentions why it is important for retailers to be making the switch to these natural fabrics, “15% of textile materials are now recycled; the remaining 85% end up in landfills. The Environmental Protection Agency estimates that, on average, individuals throw away a startling seventy pounds of clothing each year, which accounts for 5.2% of our total landfill waste.” By changing the way clothing is being produced these companies protect our global environment. By sharing the benefits of these beautiful products, people can help to revolutionize this green apparel industry.