The Expressway Partnership Program is an urban greening initiative to create and maintain beautiful, sustainable landscapes along Chicago’s expressways.
We have many more miles of expressways to green.
VIEW OUR AVAILABLE GARDENS HERE
Chicago Gateway Green was founded in 1986 on the belief that beauty and sustainability go hand-in-hand. In conjunction with the City of Chicago and the Illinois Department of Transportation, we continue to lead the charge in urban greening and beautifying after almost 30 years. Our programs work around the clock to improve the aesthetics and environmental health of Chicago today and for generations to come, strengthening Chicago’s commitment to be the most environmentally friendly city in the nation.
The Expressway Partnership Program turns dreary embankments into ribbons of green parkways weaving through the city. More than 100 gardens comprise the Program, covering almost 150 acres of roadside landscapes on all major expressways leading into and out of the city. Each garden is carefully planned using native shrubs, trees, and perennials that require fewer resources and are well adapted to the harsh roadside growing conditions – salt, poor soil quality, extreme temperatures, and high carbon emissions. We work closely with professional landscape crews to provide plant care, weed control, mowing, and litter pickup from April through October to ensure our gardens always look their best!
Socially responsible businesses and community organizations partner with us to sponsor expressway gardens. In doing so, partners showcase their pride for Chicago, support a high profile greening initiative, and provide beautiful views to hundreds of thousands of motorists daily. Our exclusive agreement with the Illinois Department of Transportation creates a unique marketing opportunity, and sponsorships are 100% tax-deductible.
- Reduce noise pollution
- Cools the air
- Conserves and protects water
- Absorbs pollutants and prevents contaminants from entering soil and water
- Raises community awareness of urban greening
- Inclusion in select collateral materials including logos, site maps, and photos on the Chicago Gateway Green website
- Welcome announcement in Chicago Gateway Green newsletter (distribution to approximately 10,000 subscribers)
- Inclusion in Chicago Gateway Green social media efforts (4,000+ followers)
- Installation of “Thank You” banner with your company logo in the downtown corridor twice per year for 30 days at a time
- Logo inclusion in event program book for Chicago Gateway Green’s annual signature fundraising gala, Green Tie Ball (distribution to approximately 2,000+ attendees)
- Two VIP tickets to Green Tie Ball, Chicago Gateway Green’s annual signature fundraising gala
- Two “Buy-In” and two spectator tickets to Gaming for Green Poker Tournament & Casino Night fundraiser
- An annual report for the site that provides information, media collateral, and other data that could be used for company communications (marketing and PR), as well as in reporting towards corporate sustainability goals
- Publicly visible alignment and association with Chicago Gateway Green’s important local civic mission of greening and beautifying Chicago
- Other benefits as mutually determined to help reach the corporate goals
- All sponsorships are tax deductible to the full extent of the law
Is the Expressway Partnership Program like the Adopt-A-Highway Program?
While the ultimate goals are similar, the Expressway Partnership Program does not ask sponsors to maintain the garden themselves. Instead, Gateway Green hires pre-approved professional landscaping companies to tend to our sites.
What does the sponsorship payment go towards?
The Expressway Partnership Program offers a unique marketing opportunity. Through our exclusive agreement with the Illinois Department of Transportation, your company’s logo is placed in a highly desirable location alongside the expressway – all while showing your support for a high-profile greening initiative. While receiving tremendous exposure and additional benefits, your sponsorship dollars go towards biweekly maintenance of the garden from April through October. This includes weed control, plant care, mowing, and litter pickup.
How much does sponsorship of a site cost, and what are payment options?
The cost of sponsorship is dependent on the location of the site, number of daily viewers, and size of the garden. As a general guide, our least expensive sites (entrance and exit ramp gardens) cost $10,000 annually, and the downtown locations can cost upwards of $30,000. We can work with you to create a payment plan that fits your needs with monthly, quarterly, or annual invoices.
Who can sponsor a garden?
Anyone can become a partner! Our current partners include individuals, family-owned restaurants, sports teams, local companies, and international corporations. If you care about beautifying Chicago, we welcome the opportunity to partner with you.
How do I become a sponsor?
We make becoming a sponsor as easy as possible. First, we will create a personalized proposal outlining the best available sites that fit your criteria. Once you select a site and approve the sign design, we will handle the rest!
Can I request to sponsor a certain location?
Yes! Many companies prefer to sponsor sites near their headquarters or offices. Please let us know if you have a specific expressway, area, or even an exact site in which you are interested. We cannot guarantee that the requested site is available, but we will do our best to find the perfect site for you.